New school health center opens in Brighton Park
Posted: February 19, 2013 by UI Health Marketing
February 19 from 10 am to 11 am
3050 W. 39th Pl. Annex
A Tuesday ribbon-cutting ceremony will open the Davis Health and Wellness Center, the first school health center in the Brighton Park community. The new health center will serve students of Davis Elementary, Burroughs Elementary and other Brighton Park schools.
Children and families of the community will join the health center partners for a ribbon-cutting and tour of the facility.The federally qualified health center is a partnership of the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, the UIC Office of Community Engagement and Neighborhood Health Partnerships, Mile Square Health Center, the Brighton Park Neighborhood Council, and the Chicago Public Schools. The health center is funded through two grants from the Health Resource and Service Administration and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation of Illinois.
Brighton Park is a medically underserved community with a shortage of health care providers, and the health center partners plan to expand services to family members and community residents. The nurse practitioner practice is staffed by advanced-practice nurses, a mental health professional, nurse educator, nutritionist, and support staff. Three community outreach workers will help families prepare for changes under health reform.
The Davis Health and Wellness Center is one of four school-located health centers sponsored by UI Health. All serve an educational role as practice sites for UIC student health professionals.
Speakers at the Tuesday event will include:
- Cynthia Boyd, Director of the UIC Office of Community Engagement & Neighborhood Health Partnerships.
- Santos Gomez, Principal of Nathan Davis Elementary School.
- Patrick Brosnan, Executive Director of the Brighton Park Neighborhood Council.
- Dr. Joe G.N. "Skip" Garcia, vice president for health affairs of the University of Illinois.
- Representatives from the Chicago Public Schools and the Local School Council of Nathan Davis Elementary School.