Stephenson, Mary M.D.
Mary Stephenson, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACOG, ELAM is internationally renowned for her expertise in recurrent pregnancy loss. Her training in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, reproductive immunology and genetics has facilitated her ability to link clinical care to the laboratory.
Dr. Stephenson would prefer to evaluation patients prior to being pregnant. Her particular areas of interest include patients with a history of:
- Recurrent early pregnancy loss (2 more pregnancy losses <10 weeks)\
- Late (≥10 weeks) pregnancy loss (fetal demise)
- Thrombophilia (tendency to clot) in pregnancy
- Autoimmune disorders in pregnancy
- Unsuccessful in vitro fertilization (IVF) attempts
Dr. Stephenson has led several randomized controlled trials to assess treatment options for recurrent pregnancy loss and infertility. She collaborates internationally with basic science researches to study optimal drug dosing protocols throughout pregnancy. Dr. Stephenson has long-standing collaborations with geneticists both locally and abroad to study the genetic basis for miscarriage, and identify specific miscarriage genes which could lead to developmental changes in early pregnancy.
Dr. Stephenson is featured in Jon Cohen's book, "Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage," a book she recommends prior to consultation. Dr. Stephenson emphasizes the importance of determining why miscarriage occurs. She recommends testing miscarriages for chromosome errors, which gives valuable information to the patient and physician.
An accomplished author, Dr. Stephenson has published extensively in scientific journals. She is an Associate Editor for the journal "Human Reproduction" and is on the Editorial Board for "Fertility & Sterility". In 2010, Dr. Stephenson (Co-Editor) published "Early Pregnancy", the first textbook to embrace a multidisciplinary approach to the evaluation and management of recurrent pregnancy loss. Dr. Stephenson is clearly one of the top researchers in the field and is highly sought after as a speaker for national and international meetings on reproduction.
In recognition of her exceptional work, Dr, Stephenson holds leadership positions in state, national, and international associations. Her recent and current posts include executive and chair for the Chicago Association of Reproductive Endocrinologists (CARE), chair of postgraduate programs for the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), and the North American representative to the European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE). Recently, she was selected to participate in the prestigious Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) program for women.
In 2004, Dr. Stephenson moved to Chicago from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, to establish the largest Recurrent Pregnancy Loss program in North America.
Since 2005, she has been recognized as one of the Best Doctors in America®. In 2011, Dr. Stephenson completed the prestigious Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) program for senior academic women. In July 2012, she assumed the position of Department Head of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and, in 2013, the UIH Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Program will open.
- Board Certification: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Board Certification: Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Fellowship: University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver BC CANADA
- Residency: University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver BC CANADA
- Internship: University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Edmonton, AB CANADA
- Medical School: University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver BC CANADA
- Bachelor of Science: University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver BC CANADA
- Master of Science: University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver BC CANADA
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Fetal Demise
- Inherited Thrombophilias and Reproduction
- Late Pregnancy Loss
- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
1801 West Taylor Street
Outpatient Care Center - Suite 4 A
Chicago, IL 60612