Bariatric Surgery (Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery)
Why Choose Us?
Level 1 ACS Bariatric Center!
There are many factors to consider when choosing the hospital for your weight loss surgery. To get the best results, you need to choose the program that puts YOU first.
The Bariatric Surgery Program at UI Health is recognized as an American College of Surgeons Level One Center of Excellence—the highest level of accreditation. Centers of excellence must provide complete tertiary care, with resources devoted to bariatric surgery and must have dedicated multi-disciplinary bariatric teams that include surgeons, nurses, medical consultants, dieticians, psychologists, and exercise physiologists. Our hospital can manage the most challenging and complex patients with optimal opportunity for safe and effective outcomes. In addition, our center must report long-term patient outcomes and have on-site inspections to verify all their data. The evidence shows that the best outcomes and the fewest complications occur in centers with the most experience.
The Bariatric Surgery Program at UI Health is also proud to be a:
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, a high-status national designation from the America Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Blue Distinction Center for Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Aetna & Optum Health Centers of Excellence.
There are three important outcome rates to consider when comparing a bariatric program's quality of care and safety. UI Health has one of the highest patient success rates and lowest mortality rates compared to national standards while treating some of the most complex cases for bariatric surgery.
|Outcomes within 30 days after surgery||UI Health (240 cases in 2012)||National Benchmarks|
UI Health's Bariatric Surgery Program also offers:
- Robotic-assisted surgery for the adjustable gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy procedures.
- Revision procedures for previous gastric by-pass and gastric banding patients
- Correctional procedures from complications from other centers
- Weight loss surgery with no BMI limit