Bariatric Surgery (Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery)
Welcome to the Bariatric Surgery Center at UI Health. We are a team of bariatric surgeons and healthcare professionals dedicated to helping you accomplish your health and weight loss goals. We aim to improve your health, to make you feel better about your body, and to allow you to live longer in the process. Our focus is for you to have safe and effective minimally invasive weight loss surgery using the most advanced techniques.
The Bariatric Surgery Center at UI Health is recognized as an American College of Surgeons MBSAQIP Comprehensive Center with adolescent qualifications. That means our weight loss surgery patients can expect thorough pre-operative support and education, world-class weight loss surgeons operating in a top-notch facility, and effective post-operative monitoring and follow-up. Our hospital can manage the most challenging and complex patients with optimal opportunity for safe and effective outcomes. In addition, our center must report long-term patient outcomes and have on-site inspections to verify all their data. The evidence shows that the best outcomes and the fewest complications occur in centers with the most experience.
The Bariatric Surgery Center at UI Health is also proud to be a:
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, a high-status national designation from the America Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Blue Distinction Center for Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Aetna & Optum Health Centers of Excellence.
There are three important outcome rates to consider when comparing a bariatric program's quality of care and safety. UI Health has one of the highest patient success rates and lowest mortality rates compared to national standards while treating some of the most complex cases for bariatric surgery.
|Outcomes within 30 days after surgery||UI Health (240 cases in 2012)||National Benchmarks|
UI Health's Bariatric Surgery Program also offers:
- Robotic-assisted surgery for the adjustable gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy procedures.
- Revision procedures for previous gastric by-pass and gastric banding patients
- Correctional procedures from complications from other centers
- Weight loss surgery with no BMI limit