Neurosciences Center (Premier Stroke and Brain Aneurysm Treatment)
At the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, patients receive the latest and most advanced care for the prevention and management of neurological conditions.
The Neurosurgery team is part of the Neuropsychiatric Institute, a world leader in Neurosurgery established in the 1940's. Our doctors have treated more than 4,000 brain aneurysms, and we have ranked first in the state for treating the most aneurysm cases for the last ten years. Our team includes national leaders in the field of surgical and minimally invasive treatment of cerebrovascular and spinal diseases.
Neurosurgeons in our department have led the way in groundbreaking research in the areas of stroke, aneurysm, brain tumors, degenerative spinal disease, and pain management. Currently, the Neurosurgery Program is leading a nationwide study to evaluate blood flow and stroke risk.
- Neurosurgery at UI Health ranks first in the state for treating the largest number of patients with brain aneurysms in the last decade, more than any other hospital in Illinois.
- The first and one of the few fully integrated, consensus based, multidisciplinary centers for aneurysm care.
- The first to treat aneurysms without surgery in the Midwest (through coil-embolization).
- The first to use glue for the treatment of Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
- The first to develop and implement the Flow-assisted surgical techniques (F.A.S.T) bypass method for treating complex aneurysms.
- The first to perform laser-assisted bypass in the Midwest.
- One of the first and largest fully dedicated neurosurgical intensive care units in the country, and in many cases, has successfully treated patients turned away from other major medical centers.
- State of the art diagnostic imaging and surgery.