About Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a painless treatment that increases the amount of oxygen in the body to increase the body's natural wound-healing capabilities.
Certain illnesses and injuries can take longer to heal at the cellular or tissue level. In many cases, this is because adequate oxygen cannot reach the damaged area, prohibiting the body's natural healing ability. In order for the healing process to take place, the body needs to have appropriate oxygen levels in the tissue. HBOT naturally provides extra oxygen to the body to increase blood circulation, promote new blood vessel growth, and fight certain types on infections.
HBOT can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Diabetic wounds of the lower extremities
- Radiation-induced soft tissue and bone injuries
- Poor wound healing in selected wounds
- Chronic infection of the bone
- Failed skin grafts and flaps