Patients & Visitors
- Preparing for Your Visit
- Accessible Resources and Services
- Medical Records Requests
- Billing & Pricing
- Financial Assistance
- Care Coordination
- Pastoral Care Services
- Patient and Family Advisory Committee (PFAC)
- Patient Safety and Policies
- Patient Rights
- Health Information Exchange
- Personal Health Care Resources
Visiting a Patient
Health Insurance Information
Locations & Directions
Mile Square Health Center (MSHC)
Sunshine Act & the Open Payments System
What is the Sunshine Act and the Open Payments System?
Congress enacted the Sunshine Act to make drug and devices companies' involvement with doctors more transparent. The Sunshine Act created a government-run website, called "Open Payments" that lists payments made to physicians by drug and device companies.
How are doctor's payments from industry being reported?
By accessing the Open Payments website, you will be able to search doctors' names to see if your doctor has any relationship with drug or device companies that you may want to discuss.
Can I see how much is paid to my doctors by industry each year?
Yes, this information is published each year on the Open Payments website.
What kind of payments will be reported?
Doctors often work with drug and device companies to improve the quality of patient care through research and education. These relationships encourage new ideas and treatments and also help doctors keep up to date on the newest drugs and devices. Here are some examples of payments that UI Health physicians might receive that would be reported under this program:
- Payments for educational speaking engagements or for consulting to develop research projects or educational courses.
- Travel and lodging related to speaking at a conference or consulting.
- Food and drink related to medical meetings, speaking, consulting, etc.
- Education, like textbooks and medical specialty courses.
- Research activities, including the cost of tests and procedures done as part of a research study.
Where can I get more information?
Visit go.cms.gov/openpayments to learn more about the Sunshine Act.