- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- Cardiovascular Genetics Program
- Cardiovascular Program for Women
- Diagnostic Procedures & Treatments
- Heart Failure Program
- Interventional Cardiology
- Onco-Cardiology Program
- Peripheral Artery Disease
- Preventative Cardiology Program
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Having a heart attack or being diagnosed with a heart condition can be life-changing and frightening. The goal of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at UI Health is to help you recover from the cardiovascular event and prevent future heart problems. Our rehab program is designed to improve the functioning of your heart and lungs, strengthen your muscles, and help you gain the confidence you need to return to living a high-quality life.
The program is tailored based on your goals, progress, health condition, and physician recommendation. We combine exercise and education to help you change your life in a healthy way, and we offer both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services. Elements of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program include:
- Decreasing heart failure symptoms, including chest pain and shortness of breath, and reducing risk factors for heart disease
- Increasing activity tolerance, exercise capacity, and strength
- Diabetes control
- Medication management
- Smoking cessation
- Stress reduction
- Weight control
- Improving overall sense of well-being
Inpatient Cardiac Rehab Services
Our hospital rehab program is designed to help patients and their families prepare to return to normal daily activities after a procedure or treatment. A cardiac rehab nurse or an exercise physiologist will initially review your medical condition and present risk factors before discussing lifestyle changes and choices to help improve the success of your treatment. A registered dietitian will discuss your meal plans and modifications that you will need to follow. If you smoke, a therapist will help you with a smoking cessation plan. With the support and guidance of your Cardiac Rehab Team, you can transition from the hospital back into your everyday life with a renewed, healthy outlook.
Outpatient Cardiac Rehab Services
Our outpatient rehab program begins after a patient leaves the hospital. The program focuses on patient support and helping them quickly feel better and return to their normal routine. The outpatient program includes three phases include:
- Phase 1: Shortly after a heart surgery or procedure, we perform an individual health assessment to create a personalized program. You'll also learn about at-home care services.
- Phase 2: Your program begins after returning home. You will exercise with our cardiac rehabilitation staff and participate in an education program specific to your needs and interests.
- Phase 3: You will learn how to self-monitor your exercise program under professional supervision.
For more information on our program or to make an appointment, please fill out the online form or call 312.996.6480.