Diabetes Education Program
Diabetes Self-Management Education & Support
The UI Health Diabetes Center has an American Diabetes Association-recognized education program that offers individual education and group classes, in English and Spanish, to help you manage diabetes and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Schedule a Diabetes Self-Management Education & Support visit to:
- Learn basic information about diabetes
- Understand how to use diabetes devices, such as blood glucose meters, insulin pens, insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors
- Adopt healthy eating habits through nutrition education, including diabetes meal-planning, weight-loss strategies, and other disease-specific nutrition counseling
- Develop problem-solving strategies and skills to self-manage diabetes
- Monitor blood glucose, and learn how to interpret and appropriately respond to the results
- Understand how their medications work, including their action, side effects, efficacy, toxicity, prescribed dosage, and more
- Develop skills for handling stressful situations
When to attend to Diabetes Self-Management Education & Support?
- At Diagnosis
- Annually! (Referral may be required annually)
- When new complicating factors influence self-management
- When there are transitions in care
In addition to our ADA recognized education program, UI Health offers diabetes education classes and support groups in Pilsen and Humboldt Park.
The UI Health Pilsen Family Health Center Lower West provides families and individuals of all ages with comprehensive healthcare, including immunizations, physical exams, prenatal care, and complex medical care. In addition, our Pilsen location offers informative weekly diabetes education classes in Spanish to assist the Latino Pilsen community learn about and manage diabetes.
Mile Square Health Center – Humboldt Park (MSHC) is fully equipped for those in the community with physical and mental health disabilities, and the care provided at MSHC Humboldt Park is directly connected to the entire UI Health system including the hospital, outpatient clinics, and specialty care. MSHC Humboldt Park also offers diabetes support groups, called Taking Out Diabetes. The support groups are offered in English and Spanish and meet every Tuesday from 11 am to 12:30 pm at the health center.