UI Health is making COVID-19 boosters available to patients who meet the recent CDC recommendations.
The CDC also recommends that people who are immunocompromised receive a third dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least 28 days after their second dose. Immunocomprised individuals can also receive a fourth and fifth booster dose, four months after their last dose. More detailed information can be found on the CDC's website.
More information about eligibility and answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the CDC's website
Currently, an initial COVID-19 booster has been approved for those 12 years old and older.
- Pfizer booster five months after a second dose for ages 12+
- Moderna booster five months after a second dose for ages 18+
- Johnson & Johnson booster two months after for ages 18+
- Adults 18 years old and older can also receive a booster if they initially got a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization.
New guidance regarding a second booster includes:
- People 65 years and older should receive a second booster four months after their first booster.
- People 50-65 years old with underlying medical conditions should receive a second booster four months after their first booster.
- People 50-65 years old without underlying conditions may receive a second booster four months after their first booster.
Recommendations of "should" mean there is a strong recommendation for those at highest risk who may benefit the most from the second booster. Recommendations of "may" mean data in this group has been evaluated and it is safe and may provide additional protection.
More information about eligibility, which booster you may receive, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the CDC's website.
How to schedule your appointment
UI Health patients can also get their COVID-19 booster at the Eye and Ear Infirmary after their clinic appointment.
- Please bring your CDC-issued vaccine card with you.
- Bring a photo ID that has your name and date of birth.
- Appointments may last up to 45 minutes for vaccination and observation.
- Review the Pfizer Emergency Use Authorization EUA Fact Sheet (.pdf) and the CDC's V-Safe Information Sheet (.pdf) before your appointment
- Review the Moderna EUA Fact Sheet (.pdf) before your appointment