- Occupational Medicine Clinic
- Medical Surveillance Program
- Independent Medical Evaluations
- Preplacement, Fit for duty, return to work and DOT examinations
- Adult and Children’s Environmental Health
- Illicit Drug/Substance Abuse Collection and Screening
- Travel Clinic
- Health in the Arts Program
The Future of Occupational Health Management
The Medical Advisorship Program, sponsored by the Great Lake Center’s Occupational Health Service Institute (0HSI), provides a flexible, cost-effective solution for meeting the growing challenges of workplace health. Our mission is to create a cost-effective partnership with corporation to provide customized occupational medical services.
Through this innovative program, specialists with years of experience in occupational and environmental medicine serve as medical directors for your organization. You'll have around the-clock access to our faculty physicians and our occupational health group. Our physicians are all board-certified in occupational medicine. Further, our advisors are all faculty members of the largest and most established occupational medicine training program in the Midwest. We will match you With an advisor based on the skills required by your company and based on a personality match.
We also offer a comprehensive, tailored list of occupational health services. This combination provides a wealth of support for your occupational health and safety needs, whether you currently have a medical program or not.
Global Expertise, Close to Home
As a World Health Organization (WHO) collaborating center, we can help multinational organizations make cost-effective choices that are consistent with environmental and public health values.
Our global experience covers a breadth of issues, from assessing global occupational health needs to managing environmental concerns. Besides connecting you to international experts, we offer round-the-clock, on-site back up and support anywhere in the world.
Healthy Support For Employees- With An Eye Toward The Bottom Line
We can help your organization save money by making sound occupational health decisions. Our preventive, proactive approach aims to identify root causes of illnesses and injuries before they become expensive.
- Unlike traditional medical directorship options, we offer:
- Personalized service
- Advisorship to your nurse and/or physician executives
- Local, regional, national and international coverage
- More than 25 years of corporate occupational medical
- Access to resources of an entire university community Flexibility to meet your needs
- 24-7 support
- Solutions proven to work
- Day-one case management for disability and workers
- Professional liability insurance coverage provided by the University
- Leadership hardiness consulting
- Holistic services designed for employees, executives and medical plans
- Board certified occupational health physicians to function as part-time medical directors for businesses
- 24 hour 7 days a week availability by page
- Provide consultation services on program development, workers' compensation cases, disability assessment
A-to-Z Services, Customized For You
Whether you are looking for global, corporate or plant-level services, we offer customized, around-the-dock support in all areas of occupational health. Our most popular services include:
- On-site occupational physicians and nurses with an easily accessed specialist network
- Case review and management of work-related and disability problems
- Day-one preventive case management of work-related injuries
- Medical review officer (MROs) services for drug testing review and program planning
- Development of medical surveillance programs
- Assessment of global, national or regional occupational health needs
- Reviews of reproductive hazard policy
- Advice on workers' compensation and return-to-work issues
- Development of response protocols for emergencies
- Travel advisory services
- Advice on exposure levels
- Risk communication including interfacing with media and public
- Response to natural disasters
- Consultations on provider networks and medical specialty care
- Arrangement of industrial hygiene services
- Executive health services
- Chronic health condition management for self-insured medical plan participants
- Complimentary and integrative medicine for self-insured medical plan participants
- On site case management
- Assistance in policy and regulation implementation
- Fully trained and experienced occupational nursing staff
- Medical surveillance evaluations
- Health and wellness programs
- Safety and health educational programs
- Health hazard evaluations of work sites
- Medical specialist support network
- Counseling assistance referral
- Ergonomic consultation services
- Corporate travel health programs
Marking Every Dollar Work For You
Payment options are negotiable and can be structured on an hourly, job or contract basis. Through the support of our Center, our corporate partners also demonstrate a commitment to public health and ethical business practices.
Our Director: Peter Orris, MD, MPH
Peter Orris, MD, MPH, is the Director of the Occupational Health Services Institute. He holds professorship at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), Rush Medical College and Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. His research has centered on applied studies of workplace hazards, and he has authored numerous articles and book chapters in this area. He is a sought-after teacher in continuing education and community programs.
Besides serving for two decades as medical director for Mount Sinai Hospital and later Northwest Community Health Care's corporate health programs, Dr. Orris has served as medical advisor to corporations, unions, governments and environmental groups. He works closely with the occupational and environmental health programs of the Pan-American and World Health Organizations. Through his many projects, Dr. Orris has gained a reputation for being able to identify client problems and develop practical, cost-effective solutions to meet their needs.
Among other physician’s in the group, OHSI's Dr. Susan Buchanan, Dr. Daniel Hryhorczuk and Dr. Orris are recognized as Chicago's only "Top Doctors" in occupational medicine by Castle Communications, supplier of U.S. News and World Report's evaluations.
Advisors, Not Policy-Makers
As your medical advisors, we don't mandate policy. Our mission is to provide the information necessary for you to meet your corporate health goals.
Every Advisorship starts with a series of confidential consultations, at no cost to you. During these meetings, we learn about your organization and determine how we can best serve your needs.
At the same time, we assess philosophical compatibility to assure sufficient synergy for mutual growth.
Our Corporate Clients
Our current clients include Fortune 50 companies, labor unions and government agencies.
The Medical Advisorship Program is part of the clinical services provided by teaching faculty of the Great Lakes Centers for Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health of the University of Illinois School of Public Health, a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre. Our physicians are board certified in Occupational Medicine with over a hundred years of cumulative experience in providing occupational health advise and service to corporations, communities, and unions in the Midwest. In addition our group includes industrial hygienists and Occupational Health nurses, thereby allowing for a full range of occupational health services.
- Independent Medical Evaluations (new)