- Pediatric Primary Care
- Child Life Services
- Adolescent Medicine
- Back-to-School Care
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, & Pulmonology
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric Neurology
School & Sports Physicals
Routine physicals help ensure your child is safe, healthy, and prepared for school, sports, and other extracurricular activities.
School physicals are mandatory for many children. Chicago Public Schools (CPS) health requirements necessitate physicals for students entering preschool, kindergarten, 6th grade, and 9th grade - plus any student entering CPS for the first time.
We suggest doing the following to help prepare you and your child for their back-to-school physical:
- Talk to your child about what will happen during the physical to help them feel comfortable.
- Write down a family medical history to share with the provider.
- Bring a list of any medications your child is currently taking.
- Bring up any changes in your child's health that you've noticed since their last checkup.
If your child wants to participate in any school sports, they also will be required to have a sports physical. Sports physicals are a safety precaution. They allow one of our providers to find any restrictions or areas of concern, or to suggest that they should avoid any specific sports or activities. Physicals also help the provider find any noticeable changes in your child's health.
A provider will do the following during your child's sports physical:
- Review your child's medical history.
- Measure your child's height, weight, blood pressure, and pulse.
- Check your child's eyes, ears, nose, throat, lymph nodes, heart, lungs, and abdominal area for any abnormalities.
- Assess your child's neck, spine, shoulders, arms, wrists, elbows, knees, legs, and feet.
- Make sure all of their immunizations are up to date.
- Ask you and your child about any concerns you may have about their well-being.
At the end of the physical, the provider will sign any of the required forms that your child needs for school and or sports. Your provider also may be able to suggest stretching or other exercises to help your child avoid sports injuries.
Schedule a Back-to-School Physical Today
Pediatrics at UI Health offers convenient evening and weekend hours to help you make appointments that fit your schedule.
Click here to schedule an appointment, please call 312.996.7416.