Ahmad Aref, MD, MBA
get to know our provider
Dr. Ahmad Aref practices in the Department of Ophthalmology at UI Health. Dr. Aref’s clinical practice concentrates on cataract and glaucoma surgical therapies. He performs cataract surgery and all major glaucoma surgeries, including trabeculectomy and glaucoma drainage implant surgery for advanced glaucomatous disease, and microinvasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) for patients with mild to moderate disease, including trabecular microbypass stent implantation (Hydrus and iStent), ab-interno canaloplasty, gonioscopy assisted transluminal trabeculotomy, goniotomy, and endolaser cyclophotocoagulation (ECP). He has a particular interest in the management of angle-closure glaucomas. Dr. Aref also specializes in premium cataract and intraocular lens surgeries using the latest techniques. He offers advanced options for vision correction postoperatively, including diffractive (multifocal), enhanced depth of focus, and toric intraocular lens platforms. Dr. Aref is certified in the use of the Alcon LensX laser for femtosecond laser-assisted cataract. He has been selected as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor, one of America's Best Eye Doctors by Newsweek, and he is a tenured professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
Specialties & Services
- Glaucoma Surgery
Specialty Care Building
1009 S. Wood St.
Chicago, IL 60612
- Board Certification: American Board of Ophthalmology
- Board Certification: Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada
- Postgraduate: University of Chicago (MBA)
- Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Internship: St. John Hospital & Medical Center
- Medical School: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Residency: Hershey Eye Center