Head and Neck Cancer Surgery
Head and neck cancer can cause complications to the many daily functions dependent upon the structures of the head and neck, such as speaking, swallowing, and breathing. The specialists at UI Health are experienced in treating tumors of the head and neck, and our team works together to find the best surgical treatment for you and provide the best outcomes.
Not every tumor of the head or neck is cancer. You may have a benign tumor, which is not invasive but could become harmful in some instances. A malignant tumor is cancerous and could potentially spread to other parts of the body. The earlier a tumor is diagnosed as cancer, the more likely the treatment will be successful.
Many Specialists, One Goal
At UI Health, we collaborate to completely treat your tumor, no matter how complex or how advanced your disease. Once a week, the Head and Neck Multi-Disciplinary Tumor Board meets to ensure we develop the best treatment plan for each patient. This Board includes all of the specialists involved in diagnosing, staging, and treating your cancer.
Our expert team includes:
- Ear, Nose, and Throat surgeons
- Radiation Oncologists who provide radiation therapy
- Medical Oncologists who provide chemotherapy
- Neuro radiologists who interpret your imaging studies that assist in developing your tumor stage which enables your doctor to give you prognostic information
- Pathologists who review your biopsies
- Speech Pathologists who are involved in your rehabilitation of function of your mouth, voice box, and throat that often begins even before your treatment
UI Health is home to multiple Residency training programs through the University of Illinois College of Medicine, including the Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery. Residents are intimately involved in the care of our patients. A team of 4-6 residents works under the Attending Surgeon and evaluates and examines each patient on early morning and afternoon rounds, and manages the day-to-day tasks under the Attending's supervision. Learn more about the Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Residency Program.
Eye and Ear Infirmary
1855 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60612