Head & Neck Cancer Surgery
Head and neck cancer can cause complications to the many daily functions dependent upon the structures of the head and neck, such as speaking, swallowing, and breathing. The specialists at UI Health are experienced in treating tumors of the head and neck, and our team works together to find the best surgical treatment for you and provide the best outcomes.
Not every tumor of the head or neck is cancer. You may have a benign tumor, which is not invasive but could become harmful in some instances. A malignant tumor is cancerous and could potentially spread to other parts of the body. The earlier a tumor is diagnosed as cancer, the more likely the treatment will be successful.
Many Specialists, One Goal
At UI Health, we collaborate to completely treat your tumor, no matter how complex or how advanced your disease. Once a week, the Head and Neck Multi-Disciplinary Tumor Board meets to ensure we develop the best treatment plan for each patient. This Board includes all of the specialists involved in diagnosing, staging, and treating your cancer.
Our expert team includes:
- Ear, Nose, and Throat surgeons
- Radiation Oncologists who provide radiation therapy
- Medical Oncologists who provide chemotherapy
- Neuro radiologists who interpret your imaging studies that assist in developing your tumor stage which enables your doctor to give you prognostic information
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons who offer comprehensive care and expertise in a wide variety of oral surgical procedures including reconstruction and facial aesthetic procedures to enhance appearance and function
- Pathologists who review your biopsies
- Speech Pathologists who are involved in your rehabilitation of function of your mouth, voice box, and throat that often begins even before your treatment
Eye and Ear Infirmary
1855 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60612