Our geriatricians specialize in the care of elderly patients, with a focus on the diagnosis and treatment of geriatric syndromes, including dementia, depression and other mood disorders, frailty, falls, dizziness, urinary incontinence, and other chronic diseases. We place a strong emphasis on patient and caregiver education regarding their health issues and treatment plans, and advanced-care planning. We promote senior wellness and provide management of acute and chronic disease through the following services:
- Consultative assessments both in hospital and outpatient settings
- Primary care
- Coordinated care with an interdisciplinary team of specialists, including nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, pharmacists, and occupational and physical therapists
- Decision making for palliative or hospice care when transition is needed
- Home healthcare collaborating with our geriatricians to manage seniors in their homes
- Medication management therapy through our outpatient pharmacy
- Long-term care provided at several Chicago/suburban teaching nursing homes and supportive living facilities
- Research focused on the aging immune system and models of chronic disease management
The Division of Geriatrics at UI Health offers several specialized programs for the care of seniors:
- Care of Aging Parent (COAP) Program: The COAP programs helps adult children manage the care parents who are frail or have medically complex conditions.
- Driving assessment: Our geriatricians evaluate key elements of senior health to consult with seniors and their family members regarding driving ability and other safety issues.
- Long-term care and assisted living: Our Geriatrics team sees patients in selective rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing facilities, and assisted-living facilities throughout Chicagoland.
- Memory loss: The Memory & Aging Clinic at UI Health provides a team approach to help older adults with existing or suspected issues of dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and other cognitive issues.
- Pelvic Health: The Center for Pelvic Health provides diagnosis, care, and treatment for the full range of conditions that involve the pelvic floor and lower urinary tract.
- Physician home visits: Our geriatricians work with home-care nurses to manage seniors in their homes.
- Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation: Our team works alongside pharmacists, physical therapists, and other providers to develop healthcare plans for seniors who have problems getting around because of weakness or pain.