Peter Orris, MD, MPH
Get to know our provider
Dr. Peter Orris is Chief of Occupational & Environmental Medicine at UI Health, and he has more than four decades' experience practicing occupational & environmental medicine in the Chicago area.
Prior to his current position with UI Health, Dr. Orris has served as the Midwest Regional Medical Officer for the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH)/Centers for Disease Control (CDC); Medical Director of the Mount Sinai Hospital and Northwest Community Hospital Occupational Medicine Programs; and as a general internal medicine attending physician at Cook County Hospital for 35 years, where he cared for patients and taught residents in emergency, inpatient, and outpatient clinic settings.
He is a fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and he holds professorships on the faculties of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Rush University Medical College in preventive and internal medicine.
Dr. Orris has served as adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO); local, state, and federal governments; environmental organizations; labor unions; corporations. He has edited and authored numerous articles, book chapters, and governmental reports in the field of occupational & environmental medicine, environmental toxicology, and epidemiology.
Dr. Orris maintains an active clinical and teaching practice, seeing patients with health concerns related to environmental exposures in the workplace and community; for independent medical evaluations; and as a medical review officer.
Specialties & Services
- Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- DOT and Employment Physicals
- Employee Drug Screens
- Health Hazard Evaluations
- Medical Surveillance
- On the Job Injury Care
- OSHA Exams
- Travel Health Exams
- Workers’ Compensation
- Work-Related Injuries
Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Suite E144M
835 S. Wolcott Ave.
Chicago, IL 60612
- Bachelor of Arts: Harvard College
- Diplomat: Occupational Medicine, American Board of Preventative Medicine
- Fellowship: American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Fellowship: American College of Physicians
- Licensee: Physician, State of Illinois
- Medical Doctorate: Rosalind Franklin University \ Chicago Medical School
- Masters in Public Health: Yale University School of Medicine
- Professor: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Professor: Rush University