Pulmonary Areas of Expertise
We go through our day barely thinking about breathing — until something goes wrong. Whether you need a pulmonary hospital or ongoing care for a respiratory condition, the team at UI Health can help. Our pulmonary care outpatient clinic is one of the best in Chicago for evaluation and treatment of patients with asthma and other respiratory disorders. Our pulmonary team is staffed with highly trained lung specialists, physicians, respiratory technicians, nurses, and certified educators.
Our Areas of Expertise
- Allergy: Our allergy doctors offer expert, individualized treatment for all types of allergic conditions.
- Asthma: Our specialists provide personalized asthma treatment plans and education about how to manage the disease. We offer the latest asthma treatments, including bronchial thermoplasty.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): COPD encompasses several lung diseases — including emphysema and chronic bronchitis — that make it difficult to breathe. There's no cure for COPD, but treatments can help slow the disease and make it easier for you to breathe.
- Critical Care: If you're hospitalized with a lung or respiratory disorder, you'll receive the best care possible from UI Health's physicians, nurses, and lung specialists.
- Interstitial Lung Diseases: UI Health provides evaluation and treatment for lung diseases that cause inflammation and scarring of lung tissue, including black lung disease, farmer's lung, asbestosis, and others.
- Lung Cancer: Our team specializes in screening and treatment all types of lung cancer. We have an expert team pathologists, pulmonary specialists, surgeons, and other lung cancer treatment specialists focused on providing the best care and treatment.
- Mycobacterial Diseases: We provide diagnosis and treatment for tuberculosis and other mycobacterial diseases of the lung.
- Pulmonary Hypertension: UI Health has a number of specialists who work together to treat this complex condition.
- Respiratory Therapy: Our Respiratory Therapy team examines and treat patients who have breathing or cardiopulmonary disorders. Respiratory therapists care for patients who have trouble breathing from chronic respiratory disease, such as asthma or life-saving treatment for patients with COVID-19.
- Sarcoidosis: The Bernie Mac Sarcoidosis Translational Advanced Research (STAR) Center at UI Health features a team of pulmonary doctors, critical care physicians, rheumatologists, and pharmacists focused on treating this inflammatory disease.
- Scleroderma-related Lung Disease: There is no one single lung disease related to scleroderma. Our lung specialists are committed to taking the time to diagnose and manage all forms of scleroderma-related lung disorders.
- Sleep Disorders: The Sleep Science Center at UI Health is unique in that it offers physical consultation and evaluation, sleep study testing, and fitting of respiratory equipment, all at one location.
- Tobacco Treatment Center: Cigarette smoking causes about 85 percent of lung cancer deaths in the U.S. The Tobacco Treatment Center at UI Health can help you find the best approach to end your dependence on smoking