Mammography & Early Detection
Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
As an American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, we offer a full range of breast imaging services, including screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasound, MRI, and image-guided biopsy.
We are one of the leaders of breast imaging services in the Chicagoland area and our radiologists are specialty-trained in breast imaging.
- Timely results
- Patient-centered care from expert technicians and staff
About one in eight women in the US will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime. Early detection can mean the difference between surviving and dying. Specialists at UI Health work together to not only provide easy and immediate access to screenings, but also to make the process as stress-free as possible. UI Health believes that treating each person as a person with kindness and compassion can make a big difference!
What is a mammogram?
A mammogram is an X-ray picture of your breast. It can find breast changes that are too small for you or your care provider to feel.
A screening mammogram is recommended annually for women who are 40 years or older, or for younger women with specific risk factors for breast cancer. They are used for the early detection of breast cancer.
In accordance with the American College of Radiology's guidelines, UI Health's Cancer Committee and Center for Breast Care recommends:
- Women begin annual screening mammograms at age 40.
- Women who are at an increased risk of breast cancer, for example, due to family history of breast cancer or a personal history of chest radiation for lymphoma, should have a conversation with their doctor about earlier screening and additional breast screening tests, such as MRI.
- Women ages 35 to 39 may obtain one baseline mammogram.
- Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 5 more years or longer.
Breast Imaging Services
- 2D mammogram (Digital mammography)
- 3D mammogram (Tomosynthesis)
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
Options for Women with Dense Breast Tissue
About 40% of women have dense breast tissue which can make routine mammography screening difficult to detect small tumors.
UI Health offers additional screening options for women with dense breast tissue for more accurate detection. By using ultrasound in combination with a mammogram to better detect and examine breast cancer through dense breast tissue.
To make an appointment for a mammogram today, call 312.413.4900